S. Pelargir loc. “Garth of Royal Ships”
A Gondorian city at the mouth of the Anduin (LotR/789), translated “Garth of Royal Ships” (RC/535), a combination of pêl “fenced field”, the prefix ar(a)- “royal” and the lenited form of the plural cîr of cair “ship” (RC/625).
Conceptual Development: In Lord of the Rings drafts from the 1940s, this name first appeared as N. Pelargir (WR/268).
References ✧ LotR/1116; LotRI; PMI; RC/535; SA/pel; SI; UTI
|ar(a)-||“noble, royal, high”|
|√PEL||“fence, border, edge; bound, limit; go round, encircle”||✧ SA/pel|